As a Care Giver working through an agency, you will be self employed. Whether you need to register with HMR&C (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) will depend on your intention to remain in UK. If you are in the country for 183 days per year you will need to register. As it is a bit complicated to work out which side of the line you fall, it is useful to use a company like 1stContact to evaluate your situation.

Or you can deal directly with HMR&C. They are most helpful if you have a head for doing your own paperwork.

The agency you work through should give you the information that you need in order to register. There is an information book with a form that you need to fill in. Make sure you put money aside each week or month at a rate of at least 22% of your earnings so as not to have a heart attack when you get your Tax Statement.

South Africa and the UK have a reciprocal tax agreement. This means that you may have to pay tax on your UK earnings to the SA Revenue Service but you would not have to pay in both countries.

Feel free to contact me and I will answer any questions that I can or point you in the correct direction.


  1. Heather Young says

    Hi there Gaye

    Wonderful website. What an essential service to new carers and all of us, in fact.
    I wanted to ask the font of all knowledge, you that is, about tax. I have been paying tax for years now and seldom get any back. For example, the year 2010/2011 I have just paid 700 pounds (sorry, I can never work out where pound sign is!). I have been in touch with, connected to Excess Baggage, who have not been very efficient in coming back to me. The question I asked them to which they have not responded, is if I submit my bank statements and letters of employment from Consultus, is that sufficient. They take 25% of any tax back and nothing if there is nothing due to me … is it worth going through them?
    Look forward to your response.


  2. Hi Heather,

    thank you for your very kind comments! I apologize for the delay in responding. I was not receiving my notifications of comments posted. I have now addressed that issue and hope it does not reoccur.

    I really enjoyed the short time we spent over a meal with Liz, John and Christine, catching up. It is important to connect with like minded folk.

    The only instance that you would get tax back would be if you have over paid. As a self-employed person, your taxes are paid provisionally, and then adjusted when you submit your tax return at the end of the tax year (4 April). So in theory you should not have over paid and if you have, it should have been off set against your tax due in the following tax year, or returned to you.

    In answer to your question about the submitting your bank statements and letters of employment from Consultus, I am not sure why you would need to do this. If you have filled in your tax return, that is sufficient for HMR&C and so should be good enough for anyone else. Possibly it might be more useful to show your invoice book if need be? As I understand it, you are not employed by Consultus as they act only to introduce you and the client to each other. The ‘letters of employment’ that you speak of are merely confirming your booking with the client and are not strictly ‘letters of employment’ although I am sure they can be viewed as ‘confirmation of employment’.

    If have not been courteous enough to respond to your question, I would wonder how efficiently they would handle your submission? May I suggest that you give 1stContact a call and ask their tax department on what grounds you might qualify for a tax refund?

    I hope that this has been of help to you. Please do not hesitate to contact me again with any other questions, queries or suggestions.

    So good that you have been able to use this site to pose your question. I hope it is useful to others too.

    Please let me know what transpires.


Speak Your Mind