As a Care Giver working through an agency, you will be self employed. Whether you need to register with HMR&C (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) will depend on your intention to remain in UK. If you are in the country for 183 days per year you will need to register. As it is a bit complicated to work out which side of the line you fall, it is useful to use a company like 1stContact to evaluate your situation.

Or you can deal directly with HMR&C. They are most helpful if you have a head for doing your own paperwork.

The agency you work through should give you the information that you need in order to register. There is an information book with a form that you need to fill in. Make sure you put money aside each week or month at a rate of at least 22% of your earnings so as not to have a heart attack when you get your Tax Statement.

South Africa and the UK have a reciprocal tax agreement. This means that you may have to pay tax on your UK earnings to the SA Revenue Service but you would not have to pay in both countries.

Feel free to contact me and I will answer any questions that I can or point you in the correct direction.